Mar 8, 2011

Andrew Shepherd Interviews Carl Zoch




What is the biggest reason you use a camera to tell stories, and what stories are you trying to tell?

I think I’m constantly trying to tell the story of life as I see and experience it; through relationships and my encounters with the world in which I find myself. I’m constantly attracted to the beauty in life and people who consistently go out of their way to find it, whether it’s relationally or in the midst of life's natural elements.




Can you share a photo that sort of embodies your mission statement as a photographer?

I’m in love with this Holga shot of my friend in Hawaii. I love everything about it. The wondering, the exploring and the contemplation of this beautiful, yet ambiguous life. Ultimately, this photo makes me feel content when I stare it down. It’s difficult to define who I am as a photographer but I would start with the fact that I’m an explorer and somewhat of a wanderer.



Artists often speak of others or the work of others that is inspiring and motivating.

If not another person, what would you say has the most impact on what you create and who you are as an artist?

I would say my history has the most impact on who I am as an artist. The things that have happened to me in life (both painful and beautiful), the people I’ve met along the way and the way I’m feeling in the moment of shooting. I can usually pull any of those elements out of a photo that I’ve taken and they’re the driving force behind why I do what I do.



What has been your most memorable assignment or project?

Last year I shot the wedding of an awesome couple, Mat and Leslie. There was something surreal about them. Their energy as a couple was unreal and impossible to re-articulate to others without seeing it for yourself. I recently received tragic news. Leslie was pregnant with twins and lost both of them due to some complications. Shorty after this Leslie slipped into a coma and never woke up again. Her passing away has left me up at night thinking about why I do what I do. I can’t look at the images from their sessions without becoming wrecked with emotion. In retrospect, photographing this couple’s love and existence together has been the most meaningful and beautiful project of mine. What I (and other relational based photographers) do is real, heavy and beautiful.




Why is the ocean so magnetic?

The ocean is unpredictable. It can be one of the greatest sources of beauty and tragedy, yet it’s 100% unbiased as to what it dishes out. I love that. It’s one of the few things in life that can do what it wants and doesn’t have to answer to anyone. I can stare into the ocean because it never looks the same. I can sit in the ocean on a surf board for hours and somehow it puts life into perspective for me every time.



How do you feel about shoes?

I feel claustrophobic when those toes get all trapped up so I wear Chacos most of the year. I also love all things barefoot.



If you were sent on an assignment to Siberia for three months and were given the opportunity to choose any subject matter, what story would you be drawn to tell?

I would do my best to pick a particular community to tell the story of. I’m fascinated by people, their habits and why they do what they do. It would be difficult for me (because I love to move around and travel) but I would like to stick with a certain group of people and location and tell the story of who they are in all truthfulness. I would love to engage in relationship with whoever *they would be and to share the beauty of their culture with others.

What advice would you give to travelers who can't seem to find the funds for travels like you've enjoyed and documented?

Travel where you can and within your means. I’ve always been down for the random road trip that’s only 90 miles away. And to be honest, some of the closer and random road trips have been the most memorable for me. My advise would be to concentrate on the beauty which surrounds you. I’m convinced it exists everywhere. Does it especially exist in exotic locations? Yes, but I would argue that the places we find ourselves dwelling are just as beautiful in their own way. Figure out what that beauty is and tell the hell out of that story.

*images below were taken on short day-trips in Oklahoma.



Have you ever worn one of those suede vests?

Not yet. Can I borrow yours?

What is the single most important thing to you? How does your incredible ability to tell stories and create fit into or reflect that value?

The two single most important things to me are relationships and the enjoyment of life. I’ve purposefully used the phrase ‘enjoy life’ throughout my branding and in everyday conversation because I believe in it. It’s who I am. I’ve always been connected to people and have had the desire to become more deeply connected. I can’t really explain it, I just feel like life is at its fullest when you’re connected and invested in others and you’re enjoying life together at the same time. It doesn’t get better than that. It can’t.



Sometimes I wear a Mets cap. Who's your team?

To be honest, I am team-less. I followed the Mariners as a child when I lived in Seattle. That might have been the last time I considered a team “mine.”

Long live the Kingdome.

How do you find balance in your professional work and your personal work, or, even more importantly, your professional life with your family/personal life? Do they intersect so much that they are indistinct from each other or do you make special efforts to separate the two? If so, how? Can I ask any more questions in this question? Ay?

I consider my wedding photography and all that comes with that my professional life. I continually make efforts to leave that part of my life at my studio. However, I hardly am able to put my camera down for a long period of time. I feel like it’s my best and most honest form of communicating who I am and how I feel in life. So yes, in many senses my personal life and the use of a camera constantly intersect but I would never call it work. It’s who I am, unapologetically.

What is most underrated? Overrated?



Underrated - simplicity, $25 Holgas and awesome band names.
Overrated - guided tours.

You're the newest one with the Vagabondbond. What's been your favorite part of being a part of the community?

I’ve enjoyed widening my circle of friends. Each member is beautiful and killer at seeing life in amazing ways that constantly blow my mind. It’s a breath of fresh air. My favorite part of being a part of this community is knowing that I’m not alone in my wandering and exploration but find myself in good company.




Finally - maybe the best question: Anything else?

I love life.